Thursday, April 13, 2006

i´ve reached a somewhat quiet point here in the DR. the most traveling I´ve done has been to Boca Chica about half an hour away. Milagros has friends who we visit there. I´ve spent a lot of time watching tv in spanish and working on translating stuff. In Boca Chica I don´t go out and do stuff so much.

In good news....I now have a working shower (cold, but working). And we have an extra phone line installed (no dsl yet, but hopefully soon...i know i´ve been saying that for a couple of weeks). Also, in exciting news my friend Hector told me the other day that if I had darker skin I´d be a dominican (I¨m pretty sure thats what he said....but I could have misunderstood bc-of my spanish). I took that as a compliment....

i ate dinner with a missionary family from cincinnnati last night. they´re doing aids work here. it was really nice to have someone from home to talk to about what i´m seeing here.

i´ve come to a point where i miss home and all of you to some extent. but at the same time i can see how it will be difficult to leave here. i feel sort of stuck in the middle. i know what it´s like to live like people live here.....i´ve got friends here. then i know what´s it´s like to have the conveniences at home. sort of a weird middle place. i´m worried that i´ll just forget everything i´ve seen and experienced here....forget my friends.

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe those experiences that are meaningful change us just a bit...so that even though we may think that we forget...the difference in us remains

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, when you're home it feels great and right, and where you're at now working, making friends, that will have its own place for you. Anyhow, how is the database going? Let me know if you need a hand. The posts are great. We are looking forward to the photos! Hopefully not too many mananas before you get DSL.

Love,

Allen, Maaike, and Maxine

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Jenny N said...

Happy Easter Rachel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home